Uncertainty Advantage: Leadership Lessons for Turning Risk Outside-In
Frustration and opportunity, the two reasons I pursued this topic. While business leaders try to discern the value from risk investments and activities, risk professionals are trying to understand how do things that matter most and enable the business.
When a CEO asked me, “Why do cars have brakes?”. I responded “to stop, to slow down”. He responded, “that’s exactly why investments in understanding uncertainty and measuring risk have not achieved the maximum value to the business.” He then went continued, “brakes enable us to go faster”. In other words, it begins with the “opportunity” mindset and supported by market-driven competencies and capabilities.
“Uncertainty Advantage: Leadership Lessons for Turning Risk Outside-In” chronicles the decade long journey with cases, principles and lessons of the leaders who have been able to transform risk into market advantage.
- Case studies on companies such as Hyundai, Starbucks, Roche, Trump, and Intel, this guide delivers proven ways to create value and leverage uncertainty.
- 5 Management Principles .
- 3 Decades of research and interaction with dozens of companies and growth leaders who prove that pursuing a market driven strategy to navigating uncertainty will gain measurable market advantage.
The table of contents:
- The Opportunity
- The Landscape of Uncertainty
- The Transformation Agenda Section II: Principles of Execution
- Focus: The Quest for Market Advantage Should Keep You up at Night
- Navigation: You Cannot Manage Risk; You Can Only Navigate Uncertainty
- Urgency: Markets Move Fast, but Organizations Do Not
- Details: The Devil’s in the Details, and This Demands Relentless Pursuit
- Priority: Growth Trumps Risk Epilogue: The Circle of Uncertainty
This is a must-read for anyone in business, either as an employee, manager, executive or owner. The book can be reviewed and ordered at http://uncertaintyadvantage.com.